Monday 5 September 2016

The Company

A Man with a Secret


Chapter a preview


Jack’s cell phone was buzzing as it sat on the car seat beside him, as he was driving home.  

He looked down at it and could see that Penny was calling him. He was particular about rules and safety, so he carefully slowed down and looked for a place to pull over. Most people would just answer the phone, but not Jack. He saw a parking spot and pulled over, stopped and put the car into park. She had left a message that she was going to be late getting home. “Okay” he said, “fine I guess it’s whatever’s in the fridge for me for supper tonight."


Then just as he was about to drive off, his phone rang again, it was The Company. “Darn” he said “what now.” An encrypted message was texted to him.

“Oh and I thought I was going to have a normal night off tonight.”

He pulled out his small laptop from his attaché case and logged in. The encrypted message was there as well and using an unlocking code he decoded the message. It instructed him that he was working tonight. Details would follow, but that he was needed for a special job. 

“It’s always special” he said and "lately I seem to be working more than others are.”

“Bet I am going out of town as well,” he mused. “I think I need to have a serious talk with these guys about losing a few hours or maybe even working on a casual basis.”

Jack was 55 and he felt that he should be doing a less, a lot less. Yes he was probably fitter than anyone half his age, and he had far more experience in the field than anyone else had. But there was more to life than this and it was all different now, not like it used to be in the good old days. No, he needed a change and he was thinking about retiring soon. He had worked for The Company for a good many years and while he was still very good at what he did for them, there does come a time, when one needs to seriously think about retiring. He had thought he could do something similar, but on his own. He had the money and the means to do that.


A few moments later along came another encrypted message on his lap top screen.

Destination: Mexico City.  
Duration: two days.
Target: XXXXXXXX
Contact: Eduardo


It was always the same. The target was never known until almost immediately before he had to take action. The contact was always one name and someone he never really knew.
In the old days, he had been involved in planning and in a lot of the strategy, the timing and the place, the weapon choice even. 

Now he was just the trigger.

He had argued that of course, that he could be allowed into more of what was happening. But that never worked and just fell on deaf ears. The planning now was done by someone else and it might be with a group of people who have never ever been in the field or seen any action at all.  

“Okay” he thought, "just this one last time and then I make my case to them." 


“Shit” he said, “I had better call Penny and let her know I am working late and yes oh man, I even have to tell her that I am going out of town, yes yet again.”

He hurriedly called Penny but could not get through to her, so he left a standard message, explaining that he had to go out of town. He also told her that he was not happy with the arrangement, which was true. He closed by telling her how much he loved her and that he would make it to her with something special.

He then drove out to Teterboro airport in New Jersey which catered more to private planes and made his way across from the main terminal to a large hanger, where a private jet was waiting for him.

He sat in his car for bit a little upset about having to leave without any preparation. Then he opened the driver’s door and started to get out, then changed his mind and got back in again. He picked up his cell phone and dialed the unlisted number of Dan his boss at The Company. 
He got a message to leave a message instead.

“Dan” he said, “I am sort of upset, and you know Dan well I don’t like to work when I upset and I am upset and with you. And now I feel also that you are avoiding me….” 

He paused 


“Are you Dam it all Dan, are you avoiding me?”

“Hey listen man, I am at the airport and looking right at the plane. I can see some Mexican looking guy and I suppose he must be Eduardo. I am upset because of a few things; you know what some of them are and well for me this is not a safe operation, as I know nothing about it.” 

He ended the call but just sat there.

He picked up his cell again and called Dan back leaving another message..

"Okay, Dan this is what I am going to do Dan..... and I want you to call me a.s.a.p., right after you get this message and make it a priority one for me, okay. "


"Have you got that Dan.. this is important... 

if you dont's I may just abort this mission anyway, from here right now, or later even when I get to Mexico, that is if I go.”

He hung up the phone and just sat there brooding. 

He didn't like feeling like this.. he didn't like being upset, but he was upset and anything could happen then.





To be continued...
                                                                       











,







,













,











No comments:

Post a Comment